Friday, June 02, 2006

What Is This World Coming To?

This past week, I have run into some pretty strange people. Actually, maybe I really just mean RUDE people. The streak started on Wednesday when I was shopping at a thrift store. I was trying to manuever Rory's stroller down a small aisle of clothing and there was a woman in the way. I politely asked her if she could move over a bit so that we could get through and without even looking at me she says, "You'll just have to figure out a way around me, honey." Thanks, lady. How about if we just wheel OVER you instead?

Then, later that day, Rory and I were at the mall in the children's play area when a woman rolled up with a stroller that not only had her daughter in it, but also a small dog in the basket. The fact that the dog was wearing a diaper should have been my first clue that something was weird, but hey, hind sight is twenty-twenty, right? Anyway, Rory saw the dog right away and started running towards it going "Whoof Whoof!" so I went over to ask the lady if it was okay for him to pet it. I was a little hesitant because the dog seemed sorta high strung, but the Dog Lady says, "Oh, she's just great with kids, here let me show you." So she grabs Rory's hand and brings it over to pet the dog, when all of a sudden, the dog jumps up, snarls, and bites Rory's finger! The damn thing BIT MY SON!!!!

It wasn't a bad bite, but it was bleeding a bit and Rory was totally hysterical. And as my baby was sobbing in my arms, all the Dog Lady says is, "I wouldn't really worry about it, it's not like the dog hasn't had it's shots." EXCUSE ME? Shouldn't you be saying something more along the lines of SORRY?! Can you believe that bitch never even apologized? She just went on acting like nothing had even happened, and here's my son, practically hyperventilating because he's crying so hard. He could be traumatized for life, for God's sake! I grabbed Rory and got as far away from Dog Lady and her little monster in a diaper as I could. Then I made a panicky call to Rory's pediatrician to see if I needed to bring him in, which thankfully the bite turned out to be so minor that it didn't require medical attention. But my poor guy spent the rest of the day clinging to me and repeating "Mama, Whoof Whoof" and then crying uncontrollably. Shame on you, Dog Lady. Shame, shame, shame!

And as if that wasn't enough, today this guy came into The Mother of All Coffee Houses while I was working and rudely demanded a free drink just because both of our bathrooms had been occupied when he wanted to use them. Yes, Sir, you're right -it's totally our fault that other customers needed to relieve themselves at the same time as you. We obviously planned it that way just to spite you...

What is this world coming to???

Luckily, my day ended with this, and everything was better:

2 comments:

lnstryker said...

you should have called animal control and had the basterd put to sleep. I guess I'm joking, but thats outrageous.

Allison said...

I would have started yelling at the lady.....what is with people and their freakn' dogs. Ah! So oh, first I'm excited to have something to read hear...i love your stories.....and second I'm glad rory is okay. Seriously you should have gone mad.....calling the dr. on the spot and yelling things like I'm going to have that dog put down.