Sunday, April 06, 2008

A Near Death Experience at Chipotle

How crazy would it be if my husband had to tell people that his wife choked to death on a tortilla chip at Chipotle? Well, today it seriously almost happened!

I was snacking on some chips and salsa at lunch today when suddenly, I felt a piece of chip get stuck in my throat. I wasn't too worried about it at first. I grabbed for a drink and took a big sip to wash it down. But instead of going down, the drink actually backed up in my throat. And suddenly, I couldn't breathe.

Cue panic! I tried to calm down because I knew that panicking would only make my throat close up even more, but let me tell ya, it was HARD to do. Hoby saw I was choking and started pounding me on the back, and finally, after more than a few hard wacks, the chip started to very slowly scratch it's way down my throat. OUCH.

What did Rory think of all this? Well, let's put it this way, when we tried to put him down for a nap after all the excitement of the day, the King of Procrastination grabbed his throat and said, "I can't go to sleep, Mama - I'm choking!". So while I might not be interested in eating chips again anytime soon, at least I provided my darling son with another way of putting off his naptime!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes! I guess you'll be sticking with pudding and fishy crackers for awhile. Thank goodness all is well and you are ok.

Allison said...

Oh my! I had that happen with a chip....well the part about moving slow scratching your throat....my throat hurt for several days.

So are you teaching Rory to take small bites and chew 50 times....haha

Anonymous said...

That has totally happened to me. In college I choked on a skittle and my friend had to do the Heimlich- totally serious!! I was freaking out! My throat was all scratched up too, I can only imagine how bad it would be with a hard chip!