Saturday, January 15, 2005

Long, Long Days

I am having a major problem. I keep running out of things to do at work when there are still HOURS left in the day. Yes, I’ve been a good little worker bee and I’ve consistently asked my boss for more work, but she never seems to have anything extra for me to do. (I think she has insecurity issues and has a problem letting other people do things for her. If she wants to work twice as hard while I have nothing to do, well, that’s her choice, I guess!). I’ve tried to find things to keep myself busy – re-filing my papers, cleaning my desk, disinfecting my workstation, catching up on the news online, taking walks around the building – but you can only do these things so much before you start to go a little bit stir crazy.  And considering that my work has Web Sense so I can’t surf the internet, I quite literally have NOTHING TO DO for HOURS AT A TIME.  Do you know how long the days last when you’re staring at the clock? It’s pure TORTURE.  Right now it’s only 1pm on a Friday afternoon and I have four more hours stretching out in front of me until I can officially go home. FOUR LONG HOURS. 

 

HELP!!!!!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing you "could" do (of course I'm not endorsing or encouraging this...) would be to spend your extra time figuring out ways around the WebSense restrictions. Depending on how restrictive they are about what you can do to the computer itself (changing settings, installing applications / drivers), there are a lot of creative ways to overcome those limitations. Even if their network is really locked down well, some cell phone providers offer unlimited data traffic, and if your phone has bluetooth you can use it as a modem.

I know that's probably not the kind of comment you were hoping for, but that's how I'd probably spend the extra time, since I like that sort of thing; but seriously, I would recommend doing something you really enjoy (reading, writing, whatever).

Anonymous said...

That last one was from me, by the way - I hate the Blogger comment system...

- JaredB