Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Restless

I don't know what's going on with me lately, but I feel restless. Maybe it's my upcoming high school reunion (20 YEARS! My god!!) or maybe it's getting closer to 40 than I am to 30...whatever it is, I can feel it building up inside me, a little bit more everyday...

I think it all started this summer up at family camp. Looking around at all the counselors, watching them do their jobs and remembering what it was like to be in their shoes like it was yesterday. Except it WASN'T yesterday. It was FIFTEEN years ago now, and even though I feel like I'm still the same age as them, I'm probably just another soccer mom on vacation to them. That realization hit me hard. I'm not young and care free anymore with my whole life in front of me - and when the hell did that happen?

Then I went on this hike by myself, without Hoby or the kids, and this counselor hung out talking to me so NORMALLY - as if I wasn't a Cooper's mom or Rory's mom or Hoby's wife or Jo's daughter, but just me. ME! And god, it felt so refreshing! I hadn't felt like MYSELF in so damn long I'd forgotten what I was like underneath all those other parts I have to play!  And ever since that hike, and that feeling of finding myself again, I haven't been the same...

Since coming home from that week at camp,  my job as wife and mother has felt, well, harder. I feel like I've been trying to put on someone else's clothes that don't quite fit. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my boys, I do.  I'm guess im just feeling restless, now that I had a two second taste of another life...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have missed your writing so Glad you are back!