Monday, July 12, 2004

Addict

Hello, my name is Stacy and I have become a job board addict.

Everyday I pour over all the major sites - Monster, CareerBuilder, HotJobs, DirectEmployers - always hoping that TODAY will be the day that I find that one perfect job. But unless I suddenly have a burning desire to be a telemarketer, or perhaps take up truck driving, there hasn't been much to get excited about lately. So I console myself by reading all of the ridiculous job descriptions and having a good laugh. You know, the ones that are asking for like 20 years of experience and have a list of qualifications a mile long, but with a pay rate of only $9 per hour and no benefits. Yeah, right. But the sad part is, they WILL find someone who will take that position, even though that $9 per hour will barely even pay for the gas it takes to get there every day. That's the problem with today's job market - we're just THAT desperate.

As the months go by, I find myself considering jobs that I have no business considering, jobs that are light years away from what I want to do just because I'm starting to feel the pressure. Executive secretary? Sure, why not. How hard could it be? Legal assistant? Kinda boring but they get paid fairly well, right? Preschool teacher? Well, no, I still wouldn't do THAT, but let me tell you that I can rationalize applying for almost ANY job these days. I have to keep reminding myself that have until January at my current temporary job (as fabulous as it may be, ha ha), so there's no need to panic just yet. But still I find myself constantly being drawn to those job boards, day in and day out, searching through the posts until my eyes glaze over. How can I not look? What if I miss something? Argggh, I'm hopelessly addicted.

No comments: