Monday, November 28, 2005

The Mystery of the Earring

I have this sexy pair of dangly earrings that I got a few months ago that I absolutely love. I'm not really a big jewelery person, but for some reason these earrings always made me feel just a little bit beautiful (and when you're working at a coffee house covered in spilled espresso or walking around the house with baby spit up all over you, that's a pretty amazing feat!) I usually keep the earrings hanging on a votive candle by the bathroom sink so that I won't lose them, but about week ago, I happened to looked down and notice that one of the earrings was missing. I tore the bathroom apart looking for it - in the sink, on the carpet, in the drawers - with no luck. I even got Hoby to help me look, but he couldn't find it either. It was gone.

I waited for awhile hoping the missing earring would turn up, but I finally gave in this past weekend and decided to buy a new pair of earrings. I found a cute little silver pair at Kohls that were just as dangly and sexy - and they were even on sale! That night, when I was getting ready for bed in my bathroom, I looked down at the candle and saw the one earring sitting there, looking lonely, and I thought to myself, I'll have to bring up my new pair and they can all hang out on the candle together. And then I went to bed.

Well, the next morning, Hoby got up before me and took Rory for a walk so I could get a little extra sleep. When I got up about an hour later, I took a leisurely shower, and then began to get ready. I happened to glance down at the candle, and lo and behold, there were TWO EARRINGS sitting there. Wow, I thought to myself, Hoby must have found the missing earring this morning and put it back to surprise me. And lucky me, now I'll have 2 pairs of sexy little earrings!

I saw Hoby a bit later and thanked him for finding my missing earring, but he just got this confused look on his face and said, "Um, I didn't find your earring." Huh? I was pretty sure he was pulling my leg (and if you know Hoby, he has a habit of doing that on a fairly regular basis), so it took a few hours before I finally started to believe him. And so the question has to be asked - if he didn't put the missing earring back, HOW DID IT GET THERE? We've both been over it about a thousand times and neither one of us can figure it out. I mean, the earring didn't just get up and walk itself back to the candle by the sink. It had to have been PUT there. And since neither one of us did it, well, HOW DID IT GET THERE?

And now we're both just a little freaked out...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok so if Hoby is telling the truth is it possible that it was hanging there the whole time. I know in my jewlery box I'll go to grab my earings and start ripping the box apart looking for the other earing and ah it hits me as I'm screaming at James that were hooked together the whole time!?!

JGreene said...

I think it was Mrs. Goldfarb, the earring fairy. You know, Mrs. Rabinowitz's half sister.