Monday, November 21, 2005

Over the Hills and Through the Woods...

We recently went up to Mariposa to visit with Hoby's parents and grandparents. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Mariposa, it's a little tiny rural town up in the mountains near Yosemite where my husband grew up. It's beautiful in a breathtaking sort of way, but people definitely live life differently there. Men drive enormous trucks with gun racks, the local grocery store has pictures of prize pigs and their owners up in the meat department, and everybody knows everything about everyone. And while most Grandmas give their grandkids toys or candy, Rory's Mariposa Grandma gave him a BB gun. No, I'm not kidding, and I have photographic evidence to prove it:

Grandma and the Gun

Does my kid look like a redneck in training or what? Sheesh...

Red Neck In Training

Red Neck

The BB gun wasn't loaded of course, but being the liberal flower child that I am, I can't help but feel that there is something so inherently wrong with this... sighhhhhh.

Aside from the gun, we had a wonderful time up in the mountains with Hoby's family. We had a chance to say goodbye to Hoby's Grandpa, Papa Dudley, who sadly passed away the day after we came home. I know he would have been very proud of how well his great grandson handled his gun :)

2 comments:

nathan stryker said...

that is the greatest thing even, i have a new desktop image.

JGreene said...

This is so awesome, I can't even put it into words.

So, um...can Uncle Jeremy play with the BB gun? I promise not to shoot anything of yours this time...