Sunday, February 05, 2006

One Big Caffeine Headache

The Mother of All Coffee Houses can really suck the big one sometimes.

Recently, they put a new policy into place that required the work schedule to be posted at least two weeks in advance, which was major progress considering that I had previously been getting only a few days notice and it was becoming unbelievably difficult to plan ahead for ANYTHING. And this short notice wasn't just a problem for me - it also affected my husband and my mother, who watch Rory when I'm at work. None of us could have a LIFE. So, when I got my schedule for the next THREE WEEKS, I was thrilled. I passed the information on, and all of us were able to make appointments, and actually make plans in advance for a change. How refreshing.

Yesterday, however, I happened to notice that the schedule posted for this week looked slightly different from the one I had at home, and I was told that yes, some changes had been made. Was anyone planning on telling us that? Good thing I happened to look at the schedule! I orginally was supposed to work on Monday from 6pm-10:30pm, and it had been changed to 4:30pm-8:30pm instead. Not a huge deal, thankfully, since Hoby was available to watch Rory either way. But shame on them for changing the schedule and not telling anyone!

Well, tonight I received a phone call at 8pm telling me that the schedule had been re-done AGAIN this afternoon, and I was now required to come in tomorrow morning 7:15am -1:45pm. SAY WHAT? That's less than a twelve hour notice! So I told them that I couldn't work that shift because I had no one to watch Rory. And guess what they told me? That it was my responsibility to find someone to cover the shift! My answer to that was ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! You can't go and change the schedule at the last minute and then expect me to drop everything and accomodate you. I have a son to take care of. I have A LIFE OUTSIDE WORK. And so I told them that I would NOT be there in the morning, and they would just have to deal with it. I'd be happy to come in during the evening shift like the past TWO schedule revisions had me down for, but that was the best I could do.

Who the heck do they think they are anyway?

3 comments:

lnstryker said...

That is completely outrageous. Good for you for being bold enough to say NO. I think I would have quit out of sheer frustration.


We miss you guys!

cynthia said...

that is so dumb, they should have aleast 2 day notice with a change like that, they don't realize different time shift like that is unreasonable to make someone be there! They also need to call or tell them employees in person if there is a change in the list!

Anonymous said...

I actually think it's against the law. I would check your human resources department, wherever that is. I've never heard of anything like that before.

good for you for saying NO.

you should just show up for the shift that you were originally scheduled for and work.