Friday, January 26, 2007

More Than a Little Oops

On Thursday I had to take Rory to the local Urgent Care for yet another sinus infection. The doctor prescribed something called Duratan, and since I haven't had much luck with my regular pharmacy carrying liquid medications for infants, I asked the doctor to recommend a different pharmacy. He told me that The Medicine Shoppe usually has these types on medicines in stock, and it was conveniently located across the street, so Rory and I headed over there.

Okay, so the place smelled a bit like old cigarette smoke and cheap air freshener, and the woman at the counter barely spoke English, but hey, who am I to judge? I picked up Rory's prescription, went over the dosage details with the pharmacy assistant, verified that Rory should take 1 teaspoon every 12 hours, and left.

Since I've never given Rory this type of medication before, I decided to read the bottle for possible side effects to look out for and happened to glance at the dosage directions. And here's what I saw, "Adults- 1 Tsp every 12 hours". Um, wait a second, isn't that what Rory is supposed to be taking? Why would Rory need to take the adult dosage? Something wasn't right.

So I called the pharmacy back and said "I'm a little concerned over the fact that my son's medication says that the adult dosage is 1 teaspoon, and that's how much I'm supposed to be giving my son - AND HE'S NOT EVEN TWO YET. What's up with that?" So the person put me on hold and got the pharmacist on who says to me in broken English, "Oooooh, so sorry, Miss. Make mistake. Supposed to be 1/4 a teaspoon, not 1 teaspoon." WHAT!!!! You're so sorry? I almost gave my son FOUR TIMES the dose he was supposed to get. I could have KILLED him. And you're just "sorry"? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Needless to say, we won't be going back to the Medicine Shoppe in Camarillo. Ever. And neither should you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Good thing you are on top of it...Seriously! Hope the little man feels better soon. note to self: never go to a non-english speaking pharmacist...

Anonymous said...

So scary. Thank God you are a responsible parent.