Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A Visit from Grandpa Greene

Grandpa Greene in all his glory!

Last week, my 93 year old Grandpa Greene came for a visit all the way from Florida. For those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile, you've heard about Grandpa Greene before - and he is quite the character. He's VERY hard of hearing (okay, let's be real - he's DEAF), he dresses like he's straight out of the 70's and has quite the little temper, especially when you come between him and his food. However, he also provides us with HOURS of entertaining stories, which I then get to share with you... and what can be better than that?

Last weekend, while he was spending the day with us here at our new house, we made the mistake of leaving our garage door open. Before we knew what was happening, Grandpa grabbed one of our bikes and TOOK OFF! Yelling at him to stop didn't work because he couldn't hear us, and since Grandpa had no idea where he was going and probably wouldn't have been able to find his way back, my Dad ended up having to grab a bike and chase after him. I just kept imagining having to call the police to report him missing:

"Yes, Officer, my 93 year old Grandfather took off on my bike and now we can't find him. Describe him? Well, um, he's in sea foam green bell bottoms, a wife beater and suspenders. Oh, and he has a big gold chain around his neck. No, that's not a joke, Sir. That's really what he's wearing..."

Luckily, my dad caught up to him and was able to bring him home before one of us had to make that somewhat humiliating phone call.

As much of a handful as Grandpa Greene is, he loves his family and he absolutely adores Rory. Grandpa went out and bought Rory an excersaucer, which he LOVES (and I love even more, because he can now entertain himself for hours! Yipee!) and Grandpa got a real kick out of watching Rory figure out how to use it.

Excersaucer

I took a lot of pictures while he was here, but the one below is my favorite. Four generations all in one picture - how often does that happen? I personally think that Rory is starting to look a bit like Grandpa Greene and the rest of the Greene Family men, don't you think

Four Generations of Greene Family Men

No comments: