Sunday, September 25, 2005

Just a Regular Night on the Mother Ship

So I'm working last night at the Mother of All Coffee Houses and this lady comes in. She seems nice enough as she says, "I'd like to order a cappuccino." A cappuccino? Sure, no problem. So I grab a hot cup to write the order on and she says, "Oh no, I want an iced one." An ICED cappuccino? (For those of you who are coffee illiterate, a cappuccino is shots of espresso, half steamed milk and half HOT FOAM. Foam can't be made with cold milk). I try to explain that we can't make an iced cappuccino, how about an iced latte instead? It's similiar but doesn't require any foam. But oh no, she keeps insisting, "No - I want an ICED CAPPUCCINO!" I'm trying really hard not to roll my eyes in exasperation as I run down a list of other iced drinks we have for her in hopes that she'll choose something else. But she starts yelling at me going "What's wrong with you people?! I just want an iced cappuccino. It shouldn't be so complicated to order a damn drink!" I'm trying really hard to think of something to say to make this lady calm down when an idea comes to me. "Do you mean an iced Frappuccino?" I ask. "It sounds a lot like cappuccino." She gets quiet for a second and then gives me this very cold look and says, "Yes, a Frappuccino, that's what I've been saying ALL ALONG."

Sighhhhh, I love this job.

2 comments:

claire said...

i've gotta say, working at a coffee shop gives you an opportunity to meet ALL of the crazy people in the world. hello stacy! jermy told me you had a blog - i can't believe how big rory is. it's insane. i'll have to drive up and meet him next time i'm home!

Allison said...

Yeah, um, so this may not be the point of your post, but you can make an iced cappuccino. When I was putting my time in at the Mother of All yadda yadda yadda, I had a hand full of customers that enjoyed this beverage regularly... You may have heard of Rod Low? He likes him some iced cappuccinos.
that is all