Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Son, The Non-Sleeper

About a week or so ago, my six month old son decided that he no longer needed to sleep. Of course, he never discussed this with me or asked me if it was okay, he just made the decision all by himself and has stubbornly stuck by it.

I've tried EVERYTHING to get him to sleep - rocking, bouncing, singing, begging, pleading - NOTHING WORKS. He's so incredibly overtired that he fights anything I try. And with little to no sleep, he is quickly becoming The Crankiest Baby in the World (not to mention the fact that I'm becoming an exhausted, Cranky Mama).

I had lunch with my friend Amanda the other day and she told me that a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child had worked miracles for her with her daughter, and since I'm desperate, I ran right home and ordered it online. Now I'm pacing the floors waiting for it to arrive and praying that it provides me with the answers I'm looking for. Because it CAN'T go on like THIS...

2 comments:

nathan stryker said...

if only they had physical places to buy books so you didn't have to wait for it to be shipped. :-)

Anonymous said...

It might sound bad to you but when we know that Avery is just tired and too cranky to go to sleep we just put her in her crib and wait. The 10+ minutes is/was torcher but its worth it when you check back and she is sound asleep.

It also took her a while before she learn to just let it go and go to sleep. At first it took forever and she would cry and cry but now she only cries for a few minutes and know she’s on a great schedule with not only sleep but feedings.

Good luck.

Avery says hi.