Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Caffiene Headache

Another fabulous day of training at the Mother of All Coffee Houses. I showed up for my shift this morning only to find that the manager I had been working with was off for the day - and this new manager had no idea I was coming in for training. Not a good start. I told her that I was supposed to do some sort of training module on a computer to learn how to use the cash register and all I got was a blank look. "I'm not sure what you're talking about," she told me, "but you're welcome to go ahead and fiddle with the computer in the back." FIDDLE WITH THE COMPUTER? Okay...

Luckily, I'm pretty computer savy and I was able to figure out how to start the training module on my own. However, it included an audio portion and I couldn't hear because it was too loud in the back office. The volume on the computer was up as loud as it would go and when I inquired about headphones, I was told "We used to have them somewhere..." Could these people be any more helpful? So I ended up having to lean over and put my ear directly up against the computer speaker - FOR THREE FREAKIN' HOURS.

After I finished learning about how to use the register, the manager told me to go and try out my new skills by taking some orders. I was feeling pretty confident that I had gotten the hang of things during the computer training, until I saw the register screen. Hmm, that's strange, I thought, it looks, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the one I had just learned on. When I mentioned this to the manager, she said, "Oh, that must of been an outdated training module. We've recently changed the system." Soyou mean to tell me that I just spent THREE WHOLE HOURS of my time learning the wrong thing? Wow, it doesn't get much better than this.

Have I mentioned how much I'm loving this?

No comments: