Friday, June 17, 2005

Hind Sight Is 20/20

I know that as a first time mom, I will be making plenty of mistakes. If I had these past three months to do over again, knowing what I know now, here's what I'd do differently:
  1. I would start off having Rory sleep in his crib from day one, even if that means that it needs to take up a lot of space in our bedroom for awhile before we move him into a room of his own. We started with Rory sleeping in a basinette for the first few weeks, but once we figured out that he had acid reflux, we had to move him into something more upright. So we grabbed the first thing we saw - his swing. It worked like a charm at first - he slept 7 hours in a row! - and we were patting ourselves on the back for coming up with such a swell idea. However, now that he's out growing his swing, he's waking up every couple of hours - and he won't sleep in his crib for longer than a few minutes. If we ever want to get some sleep again, something is going to have to change...
  2. I would put Rory DOWN for naps right from the start, rather than holding him in my arms. Admit it, when you first bring home your baby from the hospital, all you want to do is stare at him. And since I had the King of the Fussy Babies, the only time I could really get a good look at him was when he was asleep. So I got into the habit of holding Rory while he napped so I could snuggle with him during the only time he was ever still. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I can hardly ever put him down to nap. Which means that I hardly get ANYTHING done.

But aside from not getting much sleep and not being able to do anything around the house, I'd say I'm handling motherhood like a pro...

HA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here I was, thinking you were going to say something about the drool :)