Friday, June 24, 2005

Today I had to rise at the ungodly hour of 3:15am to get to work by 4am. There was no else on the road as I drove to the Mother of All Coffee Houses, which was kind of creepy, and made me feel like I was the last person on Earth. Or the stupidest for getting up so damn early.

The four hour shift really wasn't so bad - it actually went pretty quickly even though I still don't have a clue what I'm doing (unless someone wants a Frappiccino - I'm the bomb at that because it's the only station they have been putting me at for my ENTIRE training.) However, when I went in the back after my shift ended to see if the schedule was finally posted for next week, I was shocked to find that they had scheduled me for FORTY HOURS. Say what? I'm only supposed to work 24 hours max! I was quite sure I had made that extremely clear during all of my interviews and during my orientation. So I went and told my boss that he had made an error, and that I was scheduled for twice the number of hours I was supposed to have. His response? "Well, that's too bad. You're going to have to find someone to cover the shifts that you don't want." Excuse me?! That's his mistake, not mine! He must have seen the steam coming out of my ears, because he quickly said, "I suppose I can help you just this once, but in the future, it will be your responsibilty. And I can't guarantee that I can find people to cover the extra shifts, so you may have to work more than you want to next week." I figured that was the best I was going to get out of him, so I swallowed my bubbling anger and said thank you.

Then, as I was driving home, I realized that he had also scheduled me to work an 8 hour shift ON THE DAY WE'RE SUPPOSED TO MOVE. I guess the fact that I had told him that day was off limits from the very beginning (and reminded him several times since then) means NOTHING.

This just keeps getting better and better...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to say "hang in there", but WTF!

Sounds like the management is a bunch of winners. I guess the good thing is after a couple months you could fire their incompetent asses because you will be hired as their manager.

I used to work the 4am shift at TJ's and I loved it but that was when I didn't have a baby to come home to.

I do hope everything works out and don't worry about the move because us guys have it taken care of.


PS. What you should do is come in with Rory in a baby bjorn on the days that you told him you couldn't work and just start working. And if he says anything you could tell him that, "I told you so".

PSS. you might want to consider putting it in writing that you can't work over a certain amount and your days off so they can't lie. This way you would have something to fall back on when the real head boss asks anything. I'm sure you already have done this but oh well.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there girl! Heath and I were both Baristas and if we can do it you can do. I agree with Dan your management team sounds like a real bunch of winners! Just stand your ground, put it in writing, and keep going. They need you more than you need them...they are just pushing you to see how far they can get. I hope your move goes well ! xoxox-Allison